[D-runtime] [D-Programming-Language/druntime] 871de1: update MANIFEST

Brad Roberts braddr at puremagic.com
Mon Jan 24 22:31:55 PST 2011

On 1/24/2011 10:13 PM, Walter Bright wrote:

> Brad Roberts wrote:
>> IMHO, this is the wrong direction for makefiles in general.  Duplication of long lists is just asking for them to grow
>> out of sync.
>
> I like and use manifests because:
>
> 1. Otherwise, it's an error prone pain to figure out what files are source and what are generated
> 2. I use the manifest to copy druntime sources between systems
> 3. I use the manifest to copy the files to the release directory

What I'm objecting to is the removal of by reference inclusion of SRC_D_MODULES into MANIFEST and instead duplicating
the whole list.  MANIFEST should use references where possible and list only what's unique to the MANIFEST directly.

Makefiles are just as important as source files.. good factoring goes a long way towards maintainability.