[D-runtime] win32 regression in exception handling

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Wed Jan 26 21:59:03 PST 2011

On Wednesday 26 January 2011 21:32:13 Brad Roberts wrote:
> On 1/26/2011 11:19 AM, Brad Roberts wrote:

> >> Well, that shouldn't be much of a problem then. I really would have
> >> expected them to be abstract anyway. I'll check in a fix shortly.
> >>
> >> - Jonathan M Davis
> >
> > Hrm.. the revert didn't make the problem go away:
> >
> > http://d.puremagic.com/test-results/test.ghtml?runid=6631
> >
> > You can see from the checkout log that the object files were updated, but
> > from the dmd test run, the same test failed in the same way.
>
> Fixed enough to not crash any more.  The problem is that while there are
> default args on the function, the caller is always responsible for setting
> up the stack correctly.  The calls to the HiddenFuncError code are all
> compiler generated and only generates the one original parameter right
> now.  So I reverted back to the version before the changes.
>
> I don't know that we're done with this discussion.. but at least the tests
> are passing once again.

Well, I'm not sure that I entirely understand what the problem is, but it sounds
like the problem relates to the extern(C) functions in particular. So, perhaps
all of those should be reverted. Proper D code can use the Error types directly
if it likes, and then I would expect that the default arguments would work just
fine. It sounds like the default arguments are causing problems in cases where
what we're dealing with is on a low enough level that the normal D rules don't
necessarily apply. I did verify that default arguments worked with extern(C)
before checking in those changes, but apparently what I tested wasn't good
enough. Perhaps it's because I then called the extern(C) functions from D rather
than C or C++. That might explain why I missed it.

So, does it sound like it would just be a good idea to revert the changes on the
extern(C) functions? I'd rather be safe than sorry, and while I do think that in
general, it's best to have the file and line arguments for exception types have
default arguments, if we're talking about low level and/or C/C++ code which is
dealing with it, it might be best to just play it safe and not have the default
arguments on the extern(C) functions.

- Jonathan M Davis