[D-runtime] Why does druntime us .di files instead of .d?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Wed Jul 13 14:21:34 PDT 2011

On 2011-07-13 13:36, Walter Bright wrote:
> .di files are used when they are generated from .d files.

Yes. I get that. But why are .di files generated in the first place? Phobos
just uses .d files. It doesn't generate any .di files. druntime, on the other
hand, generates .di files, and that's what you end up importing when you
import core.*. I don't understand why the .di files are being used at all.

- Jonathan M Davis