[D-runtime] auto-tester failing, local test passing

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Tue Jun 21 08:58:40 PDT 2011

On 2011-06-21 08:29, Brad Roberts wrote:
> On 6/21/2011 5:55 AM, Steve Schveighoffer wrote:
> > In the latest commit I just pulled (druntime pull request 29), the auto
> > tester is now failing one of the unit tests.
> >
> > However, on my local box (Linux 32-bit), the test passes...
> >
> > I'm testing with dmd 2.053, and I think the auto-tester tests with the
> > dmd out of github.  So that's the only thing I can think of.  I was told
> > that phobos/druntime developers should not be using the HEAD dmd, they
> > should be using the last released one.  Is this still true?
> >
> > Sorry about the break, I hope I can figure out why soon.
> >
> > -Steve
>
> The auto-tester always tests with the most recent submit of all three
> parts.  That's how releases are done so that's what needs to be tested.
> For the most part, attempts are made to minimize the cross-package damage
> as changes are made, which helps minimize the number of times that upper
> layer developers HAVE to test with tip of everything, but that's not
> always the case.
>
> Regarding the 32/64 bit issues, you can over the cursor over each of the
> builds to get more details about it.  To short circuit that, the first
> number is how dmd is built (as a 32 or 64 bit application) and the second
> number is the output of dmd (32 bit or 64 bit code generation).
>
> The windows test for both druntime and phobos is different than the posix
> platforms.  It does a big binary build rather than one binary per .d file.
>  I wish it was more like the posix test pattern, but no one has invested
> the time to change the win32 makefiles.

It would be more consistent to have the Windows tests done the same as the
Posix tests, and it would cause fewer issues with the compiler running out of
memory, but it _has_ shown actual bugs upon occasion (such as circular
imports), so I'm a bit divided on the matter, personally. On the whole, I
agree with you and think that it should be like on Posix, but the difference
has proven useful from time to time.

- Jonathan M Davis