[D-runtime] [dmd-internals] why core/thread.d and core/thread.di in druntime?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Thu Jan 3 13:57:08 PST 2013

On Thursday, January 03, 2013 16:23:42 Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> Sigh, that kind of duplication is a bummer. Any bright ideas on how to
> avoid it? Can we try again using the automatic di generator?

Unless something major has changed, the automatic di generator is pretty
pointless. It strips almost nothing. There was a pull request which changed
that, but I don't remember what happened with that. I don't remember it being
merged (though it might have been). However, in preparation for that, I
believe that the makefile was changed to just copy and rename the files instead
of using the generator (since we really don't want all of those files stripped
normally since it kills CTFE). Either way, we don't want thread.di being
treated like all of the other .di files in druntime.

I remember getting the impression that thread.di required better control over
what was and wasn't in there than the generator was likely to provide even
with stripping stuff, but I'd have to go dig through archives for discussions
on that. So, if the generator was updated to actually strip most stuff, then it
might work, or it might not.

Martin is likely to know more, since he's the one who made the change in the
first place.

- Jonathan M Davis