[D-runtime] Precise garbage collection

Leandro Lucarella leandro.lucarella at sociomantic.com
Thu Jul 11 03:04:19 PDT 2013

On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 11:08:19AM -0700, Sean Kelly wrote:
> On Jun 29, 2013, at 7:34 AM, Michel Fortin <michel.fortin at michelf.ca> wrote:
>
> > Le 22-juin-2013 à 3:11, Walter Bright <walter at digitalmars.com> a écrit :
> >
> >> Users really only want one gc.
> >>
> >> [...]
> >>
> >> We should pick precise collection and commit to it. And then add Leandro's concurrent collector on top!
> >
> > I just want to point out that a concurrent collector that relies on "fork" will not work for iOS apps. Assuming someone would want to write one such app in D one day, the GC must still be able to work without "fork". It should work fine for sandboxed Mac apps though.
>
> It might not work for Windows apps either, but Leandro's GC is a
> cleaner design than the existing GC.  If it can be brought in line
> with the existing GC in terms of features I'd prefer it as a base to
> build on.  It's also worth noting that Leandro's GC already supports
> precise GC by way of the old precise scanning proposal.

Yes, but I would discard that because it never got in DMD and the way of
storing the type information pointer at the end of the memory block
didn't prove to be very successful. I have the feeling that Rainer's way
of storing them in the pool instead (if I understood the talk correctly,
I actually couldn't take a look at the code yet) should work better.

--
Leandro Lucarella
Senior R&D Developer