[D-runtime] Time for druntime for Linux64 to default to a shared lib

Alex Rønne Petersen alex at alexrp.com
Wed Mar 13 11:32:44 PDT 2013

Hi,

On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 7:28 PM, Walter Bright <walter at digitalmars.com> wrote:

>> This is absolutely fantastic, many thanks to everyone involved and Martin
>> in particular!
>>
>> One question - shouldn't we preserve the current default (static linking
>> throughout)? Last thing I want is to hear naysayers clamoring how we threw
>> them in DLL hell whereas other languages (which don't support DLLs in the
>> first place) don't.
>>
>> Dynamic linking is a great option and possibly the best way going forward,
>> but at least for the time being let's not make it the default until we make
>> it rock solid.
>

> I don't think we can make it rock solid until we make it the default!

While I can see where you're coming from, let's not rush things.

We need to make _at least_ one release with shared library support
that has to be selected explicitly with a -shared flag. We cannot just
disrupt everyone by throwing shared libraries at them with no prior
warning or testing having happened.

Regards,
Alex