[D-runtime] Should import file generation depend on MODEL?

Leandro Lucarella leandro.lucarella at sociomantic.com
Thu May 30 02:27:47 PDT 2013

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 12:07:10AM -0400, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> The druntime build uses MODEL in all of its command lines. However,
> when generating headers it does not generate them in MODEL-dependent
> directories.
>
> I checked and the generated headers are identical regardless of
> MODEL. Should we assume that at least in the future the generated
> imports may depend on MODEL? If so, we need to generate them in
> MODEL-dependent directories. Otherwise, we shouldn't pass MODEL in
> the respective command line.

My KISS sense tells me that if there is no need to distinguish between
MODELs now, just remove the MODEL from the command line and leave it
MODEL-independent. Besides avoiding adding complexity that we might not
need, it will make us think if is there is something wrong in the future
if we need to make that distinction.

--
Leandro Lucarella
Senior R&D Developer