[D-runtime] localized readln() reads nothing in MS Windows console application

Andrei aalub at mail.ru
Fri Dec 29 11:41:03 UTC 2017

Since D language proclaims using Unicode in string type it seems
natural that the following statement reading localized input
(say, Russian) throws exception "std.utf.UTFException... Invalid
UTF-8 sequence":

auto response=readln().strip();

because the result is ubyte[] containing raw values above 127
unconverted to UTF8.

Experienced programmers advise to use SetConsoleCP(65001) Windows
function to set up console application, which seems to be the
solution, but it brings an unexpected result: while the user
feeds the readln() function with ASCII (below 128) input it works
perfect, and when [s]he inputs localized text - it returns empty
line and any consequent readln()s do not wait for user's input
and immediately return empty string too.

It seems to me a runtime function issue - or do I something wrong?