D being talked about at gcc.gnu.org (RPM)

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Tue Apr 18 08:19:28 PDT 2006

Philip Van Hoof wrote:

> As the patch of gdc isn't working on the GCC sources which are available
> in the source GCC4 package of Fedora Core 4,

I'm using Fedora Core 5, and it disliked GDC (as it's using GCC 4.1!)

But using GCC 3.2 (compat) as the compiler and GCC 4.0 as the basis,
I was able to bootstrap a working "opt" version of GDC there as well...

> Now in /usr/src/redhat/SPECS we put the attached file and then we do
> something like this:
>
> rpmbuild -ba /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/gdc.spec

As a tip, you should probably be building in another directory... ?
You can set a new top directory up with macros, for a non-admin user.

> Okay. Mine isn't building C and C++ packages at this moment. As that
> would conflict with the existing build environment.

Yes, you can't actually use them if you have GCC/G++ installed :-)
Just figured I might as well package them, since it builds it anyway.

> I wonder if it would be possible to get a working GDC compiler without
> having to conflict with the existing compiler setup?

It is, but it needs to match the system C/C++ compiler *perfectly*...
I'm doing this on Mac, but for the RPM spec I did both that and "opt"

Idea being that any "system" version of GDC would install under /usr,
but if you need a full GCC/G++ to match it - they all go in /opt/gdc ?

I posted some thoughts on this very topic earlier, in:
http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/D/gnu/1561.html

I believe the "integration" problems should be rather similar,
whether on Fedora Core or on Mac OS X ? (both patch their GCC)

--anders