central package repository (Re: D being talked about at gcc.gnu.org (RPM))

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Thu Apr 20 02:58:50 PDT 2006

Philip Van Hoof wrote:

> I have both the space and bandwidth for hosting such packages. I can
> also setup a virtual computer (Xen 3.0) for it. Please let me know if
> you need hosting assistance. As I like the D programming language, I'm
> not even planning to ask money for this service. But it would be nice to
> know the space requirements (as our disks aren't extremely large).

Some ballpark figures:
GDC binary  - 5 MB
source code - 15 MB
GCC/G++/GDC - 30 MB

But it depends on how many variations we want to be hosting ?
For the Mac I am currently hosting three PPC variants, and one
"Universal" X86/PPC build (that is 3 times the size of the others,
since it targets all of two runtime arches and two target arches)

I'm also hosting the installer packages (PKG for the Mac, RPM, EXE)
as well as plain ZIP files for people who distrust the installers...
Another factor is how many versions back/forward we're planning on ?
And coupled with the number of Linux distros, it quickly adds up :-)

All the Mac files are at: http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/gdcmac/

> They are reusable for Ubuntu, indeed. But for example Dapper is already
> using gcc 4.1.x as default compiler, which afaik doesn't work with gdc
> at this moment. Same for Fedora Core 5.

That is indeed a problem. Maybe a standalone version is required there ?

--anders