GDC with later DMD's

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Fri Apr 28 00:51:56 PDT 2006

Gregor Richards wrote:

> GDC 0.17 is unfortunately out of date with respect to DMD.  I've been
> hacking at it and got a working GDC based on DMD 0.154, simply by
> incrementally going version-by-version, repatching it, and making
> sure it still compiles.  It seems to be working.  Most importantly,
> it compiles much of the stuff that GDC 0.17 doesn't due to language
> changes.

I think Brad did something similar, so you might want to check with him.

And I've put all the DMD diffs up at http://www.algonet.se/~afb/d/diffs/

> Another issue - libgphobos.a.  I don't quite understand why GDC 0.17
> only makes a .a.  It makes binaries quite big.  I modified phobos' auto*
> stuff to use libtool and make libgphobos.so.0.  That too seems to work.

DMD does it this way too (libphobos.a), for the moment it's a good way
to make sure the programs run since Phobos is in a constant state of
flux... Eventually I'm sure something like "libstdc++" will emerge ?
(hopefully something less of a DLL Hell then what that one is, but)

> If anybody wants a copy, I can get it to you.

I'm interested, email me where it can be found.

--anders