GDC with later DMD's

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Sat Apr 29 14:05:06 PDT 2006

Gregor Richards wrote:

> Though I don't like that the version numbering scheme of GDC has no
> connection to the DMD frontend it uses ... guess that's just me :)

No, but in the past there's been a *lot* more to GDC updates than just
the DMD updates which have been more like a side effect when upgrading
:-)

I mean amazing things like rewriting the entire GC, or upgrading from
GCC 3.x to 4.x, and so on. There was even 64-bit support in the works.

The downside is that the D *language* has changed a lot between DMD
releases, so when it says "requires DMD 0.150" you don't really know
which GDC version to get unless you skim through the changelogs...

> The reason I was organizing it like this is it keeps the middle IR-code
> stuff separate from the frontend stuff, but since that's not how it's
> compiled I guess that's not really a good choice X-P

I know, but for now I think it's easier to keep it as it is used ?

--anders