D.gnu is not copyrighted GNU ? so funny! !

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Sun Apr 30 00:20:16 PDT 2006

Boris Wang wrote:

> I feel so tired about all these.

If you mean if the copyright of GDC is assigned
over to the Free Software Foundation: it isn't.
And it's very possible that Walter is not prepared
to do this either, for the (essential) DMD parts.

DMD is (C) Digital Mars, and GDC is (C) David Friedman,
DMD is licensed under GPL v1 and GDC is under GPL v2.

Thus a careful general would either get an OK from FSF
about using the name "GNU D Compiler" anyway (since it
is using either GPL or a GPL-compatible license: zlib/PD,
it isn't that remote from the ideals of the rest of GCC ?)

Or maybe start planning falling back on e.g. "GDC D Compiler" ?
(I hope that it doesn't ever go this far, but you never know)

For now, I am using "GNU D Compiler" with vendor(GNU) myself.

--anders