D.gnu is not copyrighted GNU ? so funny! !

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Sun Apr 30 02:18:54 PDT 2006

Gregor Richards wrote:

>> Or maybe start planning falling back on e.g. "GDC D Compiler" ?
>> (I hope that it doesn't ever go this far, but you never know)
>> For now, I am using "GNU D Compiler" with vendor(GNU) myself.
>
> I think of it as the "GCC D Compiler", since it's the D compiler for the
> GCC collection.  That acronym is not recursive, inaccurate, or
> presumptuous.

That would work too, if we are unable to use the full GNU name ?
I think that GNU and GPL are important parts of GDC, so I have
made sure to include both in prominent places. Hope they like it.

But both acronyms fit:
gdc - GCC D Compiler
gcc - GCC C Compiler
g++ - GCC C++ Compiler
/or/
gdc - GNU D Compiler
gpc - GNU Pascal Compiler
gcj - GNU Compiler for the Java™ Programming Language

And I totally blame Sun for all confusion on what Java really is.
But in this case, "GJC" was already taken by "GJ - Generic Java".
It was initially called gjc*, when it was early in the development.

--anders

* http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/java/2000-q1/msg00153.html