GDC D compiler for PocketPCs is here!

John Reimer terminal.node at gmail.com
Thu Aug 17 06:43:36 PDT 2006

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 02:31:19 -0700, Chad J
<gamerChad at _spamIsBad_gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the info.
>
> I was eyeballing the x50v on Ebay for its good price.  I was kind of
> counting on that slowness, but not from the OS :(.  I want to take
> advantage of 480x640 with the game I am coding, and I'd have a platform
> to test on and see first hand.  So I did the math - CPU is clocked %50
> faster, but 4x more pixels to push.  Not good.  It means my 240x320 at
> 400 MHz probably won't be representative.  Maybe the intel graphics
> accelerator will help, though I'd have to do extra OpenGL work (oh
> well).  Wonder how much juice that gfx accelerator sucks.
>
> But for personal use it might not be my first choice from what I'm
> reading (battery life GOOD, slowness BAD).  hmmmm...

Well, I may be overreacting to some extent.  Some games seemed to take
advantage of the appropriate accelerated drivers and performed quite
well.  At least the sample games included were just fine.  So really the
slowness of the screen seemed limited to GUI operation only, while using
the Dell for everyday tasks. Even that feel could be slightly improved by
moving the CPU to its highest speed mode.

-JJR