Nigtly build windows binary

Wed Dec 13 12:33:38 PST 2006

Dune wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm new to D and GDC and have some questions:
>
> Is there a nigtly build of the windows binary and lib?

Not that I know of. I don't follow it much though, so maybe someone else
can help answer this one.

> Is gdc written in D? If not are there plans to do so?

No, it's C++. It uses the DMD front-end and GCC back-ends.

Note that this is probably a good thing for D, since this should make it
much easier to port it to platforms that don't already have a working D
compiler. In fact, it has already been ported to at least one platform
that didn't yet have a D compiler (Mac OS X for one). I think there were
others, but can't recall at the moment.

Creating a compiler in D that rivals the current GDC would likely be a
lot of work, as it would amount to re-implementing/porting the GCC
back-ends (at least the ones currently used by GDC), as well as keep up
with Walter for the front-end. *Both* of these are probably pretty big
jobs all by themselves :).