the language machine on Mac OS X 10.4

Peri Hankey mpah at thegreen.co.uk
Mon Feb 20 02:18:34 PST 2006

Thanks very much for responding - very helpful.

Me wrote:
> In article <dsushi$nkn$1 at digitaldaemon.com>, Peri Hankey says...
>
>>I was wondering if anyone had tried to build my language machine on Mac
>>OS X 10.4?
>>
>>If one takes the tar.gz source for a package that builds on intel/amd
>>linux, what has to be done to build it on Mac after installing  xcode
>>and gdcmac? Or is it still just ./configure and make?
>>

> there are two problems:
>
> -shared  //warning  urecognized option

oops. No shared libraries? or just different options?

> and
>
> ar cru lib/.libs/liblm.a
> ar: no archive members specified
> usage:  ar -d [-TLsv] archive file ...
> ar -m [-TLsv] archive file ...
> ar -m [-abiTLsv] position archive file ...
> ar -p [-TLsv] archive [file ...]
> ar -q [-cTLsv] archive file ...
> ar -r [-cuTLsv] archive file ...
> ar -r [-abciuTLsv] position archive file ...
> ar -t [-TLsv] archive [file ...]
> ar -x [-ouTLsv] archive [file ...]
> make[1]: *** [lib/liblm.la] Error 1
> make: *** [all] Error 2
> MAKE EXITS HERE
>
> The synopsis of ar differs between gnu and apple version.

I'll have to find out how to deal with this - should be handled by
autoconf etc presumably.

> Anyway what ar is supposed to do?

ar combines object files in a library ar-chive.

> And why do you put the libraries in an hidden directory?

I hacked some existing build scripts which worked this way. You can do a
local non-root build and install as follows:

WHERE_TO_INSTALL=full-path-to-somewhere-you-can-write-to
cd the-directory-that-was-unpacked-from-the-tarball
./configure --prefix=$WHERE_TO_INSTALL; make install

> The good news are getting a working copy of lm is simple:
> compile all sources and then link the right pieces.
> Note: Working means executes fpCalc.

Great - but presumably these are statically linked? It looks as if I
need to provide an option for static linking.

Thanks again.
Peri

--
http://languagemachine.sourceforge.net - The language machine