Svelte Niagara boxen seeking handsome D compiler

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Fri Mar 10 12:14:47 PST 2006

Kris wrote:
> Unappreciated, well-bestowed multi-core Niagara server, with great tracts of
> RAM, has just appeared on the doorstep seeking a love-fest of notable
> proportion. What she needs is *ahem* a D compiler to warm her dear little heart
> *cough*
>
> Is there a GCC backend for Niagara that could be put to use? Does GDC support
> Solaris console apps? After all, it would be a cruel twist to turn this svelte
> creature over to the wrinkled hands of a JVM. What say you ~ rolicking
> adventurers? Can you help?

I'm interested as well, as I develop on SPARC at work.  To that end, GCC
for SPARC was announced just a few days ago:

http://cooltools.sunsource.net/gcc/index.html

though I've done little more than skim the FAQ.  I wouldn't mind
attempting an Ares port to Solaris, but I'd need to get GDC running
first.  Are there any problems with installing GCC to a home directory
as a user without root access?  And has anyone tried to build GDC on
Solaris before?

Sean