GNU version 0.18

Dave Dave_member at pathlink.com
Tue Mar 28 15:16:09 PST 2006

In article <mailman.15.1143256971.5269.d.gnu at puremagic.com>, Brad Roberts
says...

>platforms as porting work is done for them.  The phobos that comes with
>gdc isn't stock phobos, there's a number of changes, primarily constrained
>to the runtime support (exceptions, interfaces between the runtime and
>compiler, etc).

Since you brought it up...

When are we going to be able to stop crapola like this?

|version (GNU)
|  import std.c.unix.unix;
|else
|  import std.c.linux.linux;

<g>

Can someone explain to me again the why behind this issue anyway? Are names
really that important? I mean I think it should be std.c.posix.posix, but I'll
settle for either one of the others. It's way to early to start forking the
'standard' runtime lib. for D <g>

Why linux? Marketing - because this will make the most sense to the most users.

Why unix?  Because this is more widely understood than linux as a 'type' of
operating system.

Why posix? Because naming issues for API's like this are the reason POSIX was
created in the first place. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posix

POSIX to me really makes the most sense, but it seems to have the least
support.. Why?

- Dave