D 1.0 for Jan 1, 2007

Brad Roberts braddr at puremagic.com
Thu Nov 9 23:40:07 PST 2006

Walter Bright wrote:
> We'll release it one way or another Jan 1. And then we'll move on!

Assuming that Jan 1 is a target date for dmd, it'd be really really nice
for dgcc to have a nearly simultaneous release.  I have been and
continue to be interested / willing to help, but all my past efforts at
merging dmd into dgcc have been wasted effort.

David, how can the community help you work on dgcc effectively?  You've
personally re-done the merges that others have done.  There's a huge set
of people that want to see dgcc kept current and to expand it's
currently supported set of platforms.  What needs to be done to make
that community capable of actually getting changes submitted?

You obviously don't have the personal bandwidth to stay super up to
date, and that's not a failing, it's a reality.  No one wants to fork
dgcc, but the current single point of failure / bottlenecks is a weak
point in keeping dgcc progressing at the pace that D progresses.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Brad