XCode 2.4 and gdc

Georg Wrede georg.wrede at nospam.org
Mon Oct 2 14:49:31 PDT 2006

Fredrik Olsson wrote:
> Georg Wrede skrev:
>
>> Anders F Björklund wrote:

>>> Paths with spaces in them suck eggs, logical or not.
>>> /Library/Application\ Support/Apple/Developer\ Tools
>>

>> I hear some folks have fixed this with symbolic links.
>>
>> It's uggg-leee, but at least works.
>>
>> cd /Library
>> ln -s Application\ Support Application_Support
>> cd Application_Support/Apple
>> ln -s Developer\ Tools Developer_Tools
>>
>> etc...
>>
>> One would think that if anything, developer tools and their directory
>> are both created and maintained by programmers, and they if anybody
>> _should_ know better. Oh, well.
>
> Or one could look at it as a choice between:
> 1. Give up progress, and hold onto legacy.
> 2. Give up current conveniences, and aim for brighter future.
>
> Sort of like D. Using it means giving up some conveniences to gain
> others. The early adopters will take the hit, but unless someone is
> willing to take that hit everyone will stay in caves...

I was thinking more like, let the lusers have their files and
directories with spaces all over, but let the compiler tools directories
have underscores -- because all of us _will_ encounter some programming
tools we'd like to use, and which are too old to handle the spaces.

Ah -- and about

 > Or one could look at it as a choice between:
 > 1. Give up progress, and hold onto legacy.
 > 2. Give up current conveniences, and aim for brighter future.

We're all aiming for a better future. But it's not wise to jump into
incompatibility, however lofty our goals are.

---

I'm not forcing anybody here, it just was a hint if someone is forced to
use such legacy tools.