hardcore gdc problems

Downs default_357-line at yahoo.de
Thu Apr 5 07:53:53 PDT 2007

Thomas Kuehne wrote:

> Phobos' socket implementation isn't re-entrant save (e.g. gethostbyname
> instead of gethostbyname_r).

Yup, I noticed. Thus, the entire section is synchronized.
(Win32 has no gethostbyname_r, sadly)

> This might cause exceptions even if the
> host actually exists. Regardless, #2 looks sane. Judging form the other
> data #1's obj seems to be a valid address. #0 should be somewhere inside
> _Unwind_SjLj_RaiseException.
>
> GCC-4.1.2's doesn't document _Unwind_SjLj_RaiseException apart from
> "document me!". Thus one question would be: what happens if more than one
> thread tries to unwind at the same time?

Well that _might_ be it, but that error always happens in the same spot, so a threading issue
seems slightly unlikely, especially since the area is, as aforementioned, synched.
  ... It _might_ be that the error just went away, though. The problem with errors in network
code is always that error conditions (that rely on external sites) might be hard to reproduce.
Well, if it did go away, then all for the better. ^^
Too bad you can't prove absence :/

> Thomas

  -- downs