So .... ded? Or just pining for the fjords?

Lars Ivar Igesund larsivar at igesund.net
Sun Dec 30 04:54:47 PST 2007

Gregor Richards wrote:

> downs wrote:
>> (GDC, that is)
>>
>> What do you think?
>
> What the hell? It's been thirteen days since the last commit, not six
> months.

Looking at the commits from the last few months (there has been precious
few) all seems to handle cross platform Phobos issues - not a single one
has gone into the compiler itself. This seems to me to be a similar problem
to that of Walter and Phobos - one developer can only focus on this many
things. GDC is getting severly behind, and if I have understood correctly,
the Debian GDC team has a large number of patches (also one for GCC 4.2)
that has been largely ignored (they are at least not merged into GDC
trunk). I have tried to get Tango working on various arches (all Linux),
but GDC is seriously limited once you get past the runtime and onto more
challenging D code. I am no compiler writer, but what I understand from the
issues I have, is that for instance 64 bit is badly supported beyond X86_64
(there are many other 64 bit platforms out there).

I believe that the scope of GDC (a multiplatform D compiler) is way too big
for the current way to organize development (one man not visibly
interacting with other contributors).

--
Lars Ivar Igesund
blog at http://larsivi.net