gdc / nokia / arm-*-gnueabi

Michael Dominic Kostrzewa michael.kostrzewa at nokia.com
Sun Jan 14 12:34:21 PST 2007

On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 21:45:27 +0100, Frits van Bommel wrote:

> I think D.gnu is a more appropriate group for this. Folluwup set.

Thanks.

One thing I should have mentioned is that my debug/strace comes from gdc
0.20 but 0.21 gives same results.

Now when I think about this, it could be there is something broken in the
toolchain itself. The previous (working) arm-*-linux gdc compiler was
built against stock gcc 3.4.3 with just a few usual arm patches.

For the new arm-*-linux-gnueabi I had to use a Code Sourcery gcc 3.4.4.
This is because gcc oficially supports gnueabi from version 4.1.x (with
major bugs ironed out in 4.1.1 AFAIK) which is incompatible with gdc.
Therefore, stock gcc can't be used.

Code Sourcery's gcc 3.4.4 is a seriously altered version with eabi support
patched-in. CodeSourcery's doesn't provide individual patches so it's
impossible to distinguish where eabi support starts and where black-magic
patching-up starts. It could be that some of the CodeSourcery's
black-magic breaks gdc compatibility (though gcc and g++ works as expected
in this chain).

Summing it up, my current thinking is -- are there any plans to add gcc
4.1.x series support for gdc? Are there major differences between gcc
4.1.x and 4.0.x from the gdc point of view?

Best regards,

--
Michael Dominic Kostrzewa
Nokia - Multimedia