creating static/dynamic lib (_minit remains unresolved)

Manuel König manuelk89 at gmx.net
Wed Jan 17 11:26:07 PST 2007

Hi there,

I've got a problem creating libraries with gdc (Windows-version). I want
to build a library in D using gdc and link it against a C-program using
gcc. Since the spec says I have to do some module startup I have to call
_minit() like this:

// in library.d:
extern (C)
{
	void gc_init();
	void gc_term();
	void _minit();
	void _moduleCtor();
}

extern(C) export void initLibrary()
{
	gc_init();
	_minit();		// <== initialize module list
	_moduleCtor();
}

As you can see I export this function, so that my C-prog can call that
to initialize the library. Building the (static) library and linking it
to a C-program works fine with dmd and dmc. But when I use gdc/gcc, my
library compiles without errors, but linking it against my C-program gives:

	undefined reference to '_minit'

Hence this functions' implementation is not in my lib. I tried linking
"libgphobos" against both gdc and gcc in any combination, but the
problem remains.

I tried building it without this init stuff, and gdc built the library,
I could link it with my C-prog and call the exported functions, but for
sure it gave errors when memory got allocated 'n stuff. But this shows
that its no general library creation problem, rather an unresolved external.

Does anyone know how to get rid of this problem? (or show me that I'm a
noob and theres a totally different approach for gdc ...)