trouble building gdc-0.23

Ingo Oeser ioe-news at rameria.de
Tue Jul 10 17:17:10 PDT 2007

Anders F Björklund wrote:

> Neal Becker wrote:
>
>> I'm having trouble trying to build gdc-0.23 on x86_64 (fc6).  I need to
>> do this to get libgphobos built with -fPIC.
> [...]
>> That 'GCC_4.2.0' sounds suspicious.  I'm guessing it picked up the system
>> gcc and libstdc++ instead of the one from the build tree.

> It seems to have built OK on Fedora Core 5, so maybe your
> system compiler is too new to support building GDC with ?

Run into the same problem.

Workaround is:
- backup existing libstc++ from /usr/lib/ && ldconfig
- move the just built libstdc++  there && ldconfig
- build and install/package gdc
- move backed up libstdc++ back to /usr/lib && ldconfig

> Otherwise I guess we'll just have to wait for GCC 4.2 support.

Just beating the compiler to do that at the moment :-)

My steps so far:
- started with gdc-0.23-devel branch
- fixed line-endings as Gregor suggested :-)
- used DMD 1.018 patch from Gregor and

- ported patches from David to gcc-4.2
- replaces various instanced of build() with build2() or build3()
- used common option framework in GCC

Latest problem: "gdc: unknown spec function 'd-all-sources'" when
gdc tries to built libphobos. Can I built the d-all-sources functionality
with "-combine" in newer gcc?

Any help is appreciated. I'll publish my changes as patches like
David provides later. I run Linux/Ubuntu Feisty Fawn.

Best Regards

Ingo Oeser