Updated gdmd/gdc man pages

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Mon Mar 5 13:41:51 PST 2007

Johan Granberg wrote:

> Is the gdmd a dmd interface wrapper around gdc,

gdmd ("dmd-script" - same thing) is that DMD wrapper:
"wrapper script for gdc that emulates the dmd command"
So the gdmd manpage should be very similar to the dmd,
except for the name and some options like -vdmd or -q

I'm basing them on the --help options, the source code,
and of course the official web pages for each compiler:
* GDC <http://dgcc.sourceforge.net/gdc/manual.html>
* DMD <http://www.digitalmars.com/d/dcompiler.html>

> if it is I find it odd that
> it has a -cov flag that gdc is missing.

It's not missing, it just wasn't covered in the man:
(maybe it should be, but that's another discussion?)
thus the "Only the new options are listed here;
gdc accepts mostly the same options as gcc."

This means that coverage is handled by gcov and
the GCC flags: -fprofile-arcs -ftest-coverage
And that profiling is handled by gprof and the
-pg option, neither being covered by this manpage.

I did include the -I flag, only because -I and -J
are very similar and thus potentially confusing...
(one might want to include some other common options,
like for instance the usual GCC -c, -o or -g  flags?)

--anders

PS. The gcc man page is like 5,000 or 10,000 lines.
So we do not want to copy all of it over to gdc. :-)