trouble building gdc-0.23

Neal Becker ndbecker2 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 13:59:41 PST 2007

Anders F Björklund wrote:

> Neal Becker wrote:
>
>> I'm having trouble trying to build gdc-0.23 on x86_64 (fc6).  I need to
>> do this to get libgphobos built with -fPIC.
> [...]
>> That 'GCC_4.2.0' sounds suspicious.  I'm guessing it picked up the system
>> gcc and libstdc++ instead of the one from the build tree.
>>
>> What did I do wrong?
>
> It seems to have built OK on Fedora Core 5, so maybe your
> system compiler is too new to support building GDC with ?
>
> "An existing C++ compiler (even if you use make bootstrap)."
> seems to indicate it will use the system libstdc++, but it
> would be nice to have this clarified... (and perhaps lifted,
> if you build the C++ language in addition to just C and D ?)
>
> Otherwise I guess we'll just have to wait for GCC 4.2 support.

I installed
compat-gcc-34-c++-3.4.6-4
compat-libstdc++-33-3.2.3-61
compat-gcc-34-3.4.6-4

Then (with clean gcc-4.1.1 source) ran:

CC=gcc34 CXX=g++34 ./configure --prefix=/opt/gdc --enable-languages=c,d,c++
&& make

This should have picked up the gcc34 compiler and libstdc++, but it didn't.
It still gave the same failure.  It still refers to
(required by /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.)
which it should not have used.