D + LLVM?

BCS ao at pathlink.com
Wed May 30 22:07:27 PDT 2007

Reply to Daniel,

> I've thought about it a few times.  At this stage, I think it would be
> really good to have a second, completely independent implementation of
> D that doesn't depend on the DMD front-end.
>
> What I'd really like to[1] write is a very simple, easily modified D
> compiler that spits out LLVM bytecode so that new language features
> could be prototyped.
>
> Maybe one of these days :P
>
> -- Daniel

You just quoted the comment out of the top of a program I'm working on.

It's just a lexer at this point[1] and the target is to also build the back
end[2] (or ends), but other other than that you and I are thinking along
the same lines.

[1] I've /only/ been working on it for like a year so I should be done soon
;b
[2] What can I say, I'm writing a COMPILER for fun. Don't say it, I've all
ready been told I'm nuts.