Mac OS X 10.5

Carlos Santander csantander619 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 11:14:07 PDT 2007

Anders F Björklund escribió:
> Carlos Santander wrote:
>
>>> Why are you using the FSF GCC, rather than the Apple GCC ?
>>
>> I guess I'm used to it, I find it easier to use, and I get to use the
>> same steps when I build on Ubuntu. Plus,
>> http://www.opensource.apple.com/darwinsource/ doesn't show Leopard yet.
>
> Right, Xcode 2.4.1 and 3.0 has not been released (yet?).
>
> I used FSF GCC 3.3.x on Panther, but eventually gave up
> on FSF GCC 4.x.y with Tiger since it didn't really work.
>
> But having both available would be great, so keep it up! :-)
>
>> I guess I should've asked: what are the differences between the two
>> GCCs? What benefits does the Apple version provide? I guess it fits
>> better with the OS, or something like that, but I'd like to know
>> specifics.
>
> Some of it is language support (Objective-C++ for Tiger
> and Objective-C 2.0 for Leopard), it also has more support
> for old operating systems quirks - both Mac OS and NeXTstep.
> And not sure if FSF GCC supports the SDKs and -isysroot yet ?
>
> There's a lot of changes, the diff between them is now huge...
>
> --anders

Well, I'm a Mac OS X user, not Mac OS or NeXTstep (what a weird spellng...), so
I don't care about that. I don't know what -isysroot is; I remember seeing it
somewhere, but I don't think I've missed it. And I don't know what you mean by
supporting the SDKs. I've used -framework to use Carbon, Cocoa, Mono, and
perhaps others, and they've worked just fine. Am I missing something?

--
Carlos Santander Bernal