D shared libraries

BB b.buderman at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 07:45:12 PDT 2008

 From what I read on newsgroups, this should be possible with gdc on
linux?  Goal is a plugin type solution.  With the following code, I
compile intf.d and lib.d together into a shared library, and intf.d and
main.d into an executable.  Compiles/links fine.  When I run it, I get a
message like:

Null library handle: libxyz.so.1.0.1: undefined symbol: __data_start

I compiled the .d files with -fPIC and the .so with:
gcc -shared -Wl,-soname,libxyz.so.1 -fPIC.

Is this definitely possible, and if so, what am I doing wrong?  I tried
gdc 0.24 and the latest off svn with the same results.

TIA.

intf.d:
=========
module intf;
public interface I { public int getId(); }

lib.d:
=========
module lib;
import intf;
class A : I { public int getId() { return 42; } }
extern (C) { I getObj() { return new A(); } }

main.d:
void main(char[][] args)
{
     void* hnd = dlopen(toStringz("libxyz.so.1.0.1"), RTLD_NOW);
     if (hnd == null) {
         printf("Null library handle: %s\n", dlerror());
         return 0;