gdmd does not work on Windows

Nicolay Korslund korslund at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 04:04:18 PDT 2008

Anders F Björklund Wrote:

> So it's easier to just install the readily available Perl package.
> The "gdmd.bat" script was created by running pl2bat on gdmd, BTW.

Hi. The problem now isn't really the perl dependency, but the fact that it doesn't work at all with DSSS. It requires a gdmd.exe file, and the bat file didn't work for me.

> Maybe something awful like rewriting it in a compiled languge has to
> be done (did that for the wxD shell scripts), to cut down on depends ?

An alternative might be to use something like perlbin: http://perlbin.sourceforge.net/ . It creates a small stand-alone executable that embeds the script, and uses perl (as a library) to run it. Might be a perfect quick fix for running Perl scripts on .. troublesome platforms :) I haven't tested it though.

On the other hand the gdmd script isn't that big, and rewriting it to our favorite language would seem like an appropriate place to show off the language, since it is a D compiler after all. I might make it a weekend project of mine sometime.

Nico