Gcc 4.3

BCS ao at pathlink.com
Mon Mar 10 12:17:25 PDT 2008

Reply to Lorenzo,

> Carlo Dapor wrote:
>
>> Hmm, gcc 4.3 is not widely used yet.
>>
> It seems that some distributions will do the switch in their next
> release (like Fedora)
>
>> Personally, I'd wait for gcc 4.3.1 at least before porting D to it.
>> Gcc always introduces new functionality, which may come with
>> side-effects,
>> no offence intended.
>> If you start using it, you will discover some of these side-effects
>> and help fixing them.
>>
>> Gcc 4.2.x has been around for a while, it is installed on many
>> systems. FreeBSD 7.0, released 2 weeks ago, for instance, upgraded
>> their gcc from 3.4.6 to 4.2.1.
>>
>> Among the primary targets I see gcc 4.0.x (if at all) and gcc 4.2.x
>> for
>> porting D1 and possibly D2. This is already in progress.
>> But then, I am not active in it, so I can stop speculating here.
>> Cheers,
>> --
>> Carlo
> Maybe I can just try to port the code to gcc 4.3 by myself then send
> back the code to David. However I don't know anything about the GCC
> internals, so it can take a very loooong time :D

IMHO Carlo said it right, wait for 4.3.1. it would be a pain to be half way
there and have a major bug fix to 4.3 break something in your port. If you
want to get started, dig though the docs or just make a list of compile errors
as "things to look up". Heck, it will force you to do more up front thinking
before you start coding. That in and of it's self can be a good thing.