Merging with GCC

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Wed May 21 12:26:37 PDT 2008

Rohan wrote:
> Is there any plan to merge GDC with GCC? I think that it would be
> helpful for both projects.
> I writed in GCC mailing-list and asked about it, and they answered that
> thay do not see any problems why it should not be done.

What I heard was that the FSF requires that it be the owner of the
copyright on all official GCC languages.  GDC uses Walter's front end,
and Walter does not want to give the copyright of that to the FSF.  It
is under a very liberal license, but apparently that was not good enough
for the FSF, they want to own the copyright too.  But then that means
they could do something like turn around and tell Walter he has to stop
distributing the code under the Artistic license and use only GPL.

But maybe the GCC folks have changed their tune on the transfer of
copyright issue since someone last checked?

--bb