Where is object.d? Will it work on 10.6?

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Sun Nov 1 02:30:52 PST 2009

al wrote:
> I've installed GDC on 10.6 using provided installer. However, when I try to compile anything, it stops with error:
>
> object.d: module object cannot read file 'object.d'

AFAIK there is no GDC installer for Mac OS X 10.6 out just yet ?

There is one for 10.5, but it might have issues on Snow Leopard.

> So far I know it's because it can't find includes, but I don't know where it expects them.
>
> gdc -print-search-dirs gives me library dirs, not source include dirs.

The import modules are being found relative to the library dirs:

/usr/lib/gcc/i686-apple-darwin9/4.0.1/../../../../include/d/4.0.1

> Can it be caused by conflict with DMD? I've got leftovers from DMD1 and DMD2 on my system (they were too buggy to work with :/)
>
> i686-apple-darwin9-gdc-4.0.1 (GCC) 4.0.1 (Apple Inc. build 5484)

I don't think it's a DMD conflict, but something similar to what
you get if running the 10.4 installation on 10.5: a GCC mismatch.

The install is "expecting" some files from apple-darwin9-gdc-4.0,
while there is only apple-darwin10-gdc-4.0 installed by default.

Like http://gdcmac.sourceforge.net/gdc-files.txt but for darwin9
(as the relative links don't really work without the directories)

The best would be to rebuild GDC with gcc-5484 for Snow Leopard,
but me extracting those files from a Leopard tarball might work.

--anders