D2 Blockers?

Iain Buclaw ibuclaw at ubuntu.com
Tue Aug 17 02:59:35 PDT 2010

On 17 August 2010 05:47, Brad Roberts <braddr at puremagic.com> wrote:

> On 8/16/2010 9:33 PM, dsimcha wrote:
> > What are the current blockers to merging non-ancient versions of D2 into
> GDC?
> >  I've been quietly following the project and noticed that:
> >
> > 1.  It's actively being worked on.
> >
> > 2.  D1 is up to date.
> >
> > 3.  There were a bunch of issues w.r.t. druntime, but these seem to be
> resolved.
> >
> > 4.  A new version of D2 hasn't been merged in ~1 month, even though the
> > project is generally active.
> >
> > 5.  There was some concern about breaking the currently working 2.019.
>  IMHO
> > this is **completely** unwarranted, as support for such an outdated D2
> version
> > is probably **completely useless** to just about everyone.  Probably no
> > non-trivial code that compiles for 2.019 will work on the latest version
> or
> > vice-versa, and the only code that's still written for 2.019 is really
> old,
> > unmaintained code that noone cares about.  IMHO until you're at least
> close to
> > the latest version, you should just break older versions with reckless
> abandon
> > to march towards getting recent, useful versions working.
>
> Along similar lines, I'd dearly love to see gdc+d2 sitting on top of the
> druntime rather than maintaining an internal, ever drifting, fork.  To that
> end,
> I'd welcome patches (preferably small baby-step type patches, not huge lump
> sum
> code drops) to narrow the differences.

To be honest, currently it's been like writing the first chapter of a novel.
I *will* get started on it ... right after I get X done first, and maybe
check my email, because that it important too ( and can often consume a day
;)

Current developments that are taking priority first (in order) are:

* Updating/Uploading packages in Debian and Ubuntu - as of writing, package
is currently being built in Debian, with a predicted success across all 14
supported architectures. >:-)
* Port GDC to GCC-4.4 - nearly done, with one or two show-stoppers remaining
with static chain decls and exprs.
* Sort out the outstanding merges of D 1.062 and 1.063 - which somewhere
along the line lost 64bit support. !!! - barely even started looking into it
yet.

Current blockers that need to be organised out (in my opinion) before D2 can
be emerged are:

* Integration into current GCC patches, which will require a regeneration of
_all_ patches in the patch directory (even those I cannot account for as
working).
* Figuring out what internals need to be migrated from the current phobos2
directory, what needs to keep.
* A general consensus needs to be reached on how we should handle ASM
version specifiers. Gnu_InlineAsmX86? D_InlineAsmX86? 64bit? Sort out
calling conventions?
* GDC Driver updates to tie the whole thing together - the easy bit. ;-)

Anything I missed? Should I be pushing D2 further up the stack of my list of
TODOs?

Regards

--
Iain Buclaw