D compiler as part of GCC

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Tue Jan 19 01:21:40 PST 2010

Jerry Quinn wrote:
> Everyone who contributes code must not look at the DMD compiler
> source code to avoid accidentally contributing code illegally.
> Therefore, this will be a completely new implementation of D.
> One question I have (of many) is whether a different name should be
> used.  If this is called GDC there will be some confusion with the
> current GDC.  What thoughts do you all have?

If you are doing a completely new implementation, you should pick a
new name for it. Something like the "Free D Compiler", or whatever.
(like "GNU Pascal Compiler (GPC)" vs. "Free Pascal Compiler (FPC)")

> The obvious disadvantage of doing this is that it will be a slow
> process to get to a working D compiler.  However, one advantage to
> the D world is firming up and validating the language specification
> so that the language is not defined by what the DMD compiler does.

Is the language specification available under a more open license ?
(I was under the impression that it is not freely redistributable)
At least the source code is under GPLv1, even if also copyrighted...

--anders