GDC - who does what?

Michael P. baseball.mjp at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 18:23:54 PST 2010

Steve Teale Wrote:

> Michael P. Wrote:
>
> > Steve Teale Wrote:
> >
> > > Anders, Michael, could you possibly post a summary of who does what with respect to GDC.
> > >
> > > There's clearly quite a bit of work going on, but it is difficult to pull together a picture of what is happening.
> > >
> > > It would be useful if contact information for the parties involved could be included, if the parties are willing.
> > >
> > > From what I've read, it seems that progress through the DMD versions could be speeded up by having a number of people in parallel working on the modifications that need to be made to get a version working. But this would require some measure of organization which is impossible without communication.
> > >

> > Right now, I mainly work on merging in D1 DMD front ends for GDC.
> > I am also trying to do some others to get GDC a bit more organized, such as a folder for testing out pieces of D code to make sure GDC is working properly, and a folder that will document files specific to GDC and possibly some in the DMD front end and Phobos sources.(I don't think the documentation folder is in the hg repository yet though).
> >
> > I have also looked at trying to get GDC to work with later GCC versions, but haven't really got anywhere with that.
>
> Thanks Michael, that's helpful. If I put together a GDC-newbiew page, can I quote you.

Yeah, sure, go ahead.

> In your view, is the bitbucket repository now the 'official' source? Also there's a guy called Arthur who works on the Ubuntu GDC package. Are you in contact with him, and do you know if he is going to upgrade to the 1.043 version.

I would probably consider the bitbucket repository to be the official sources. Any proposed changes that are said to me would only be made in the bitbucket repository.
I am not in contact with Arthur, and do not know if he is going to upgrade the Ubuntu GDC to 1.043 anytime soon.

> If I build binaries of the sources periodically, can they be put in the repo. I am retired, so I have some time to do stuff and deal with questions and problems, and I'm a reasonably quick learner.

That would be fine with me.