Win64/MinGW

Johannes Pfau spam at example.com
Mon Nov 15 11:49:49 PST 2010

Am 14.11.2010, 20:30 Uhr, schrieb dsimcha <dsimcha at yahoo.com>:

> == Quote from Daniel Gibson (metalcaedes at gmail.com)'s article
>> dsimcha schrieb:
>> > I'm thinking of working on getting GDC MinGW binaries up somewhere.  I
>> > understand the MinGW build process is highly non-trivial, and I'm
>> trying to
>> > decide if it's worth the effort.  What is the status of MinGW for
>> 64-bit
>> > Windows?  Is there any theoretical reason why 64-bit GDC for MinGW
>> shouldn't
>> > work?  If not, then I'll try to make it work.
>> It may be a good start to build 32bit Windows binaries for GDC (and
>> maybe
>> provide an installer or something) and, with that experience, try to
>> get 64bit
>> Windows binaries.
>> I don't know if there's any reason why 64bit Windows binaries shouldn't
>> work.
>
> To clarify:  I'm not willing to put much work into getting Win32 working
> b/c DMD
> already works well for Win32, whereas DMD for Win64 isn't happening for
> a while
> even after DMD for Linux64 is out because of linker issues.

Building an 32bit windows GDC isn't that complicated, I built several
versions of gdc according to this
http://bitbucket.org/goshawk/gdc/wiki/MinGWCompile howto and it worked
well. 64bit could be more complicated: You need mingw-w64 and there are no
gdc build instructions for that yet (I guess most of the 32bit
instructions applies to 64bit as well though). I also don't know how
complete the 64bit mingw port is. And the website states "However, when
compiling for 64-bit we recommend using at least gcc-4.5.1 to take
advantage of the many improvements and bug-fixes" but gdc only supports
gcc up to 4.4.x.

--
Johannes Pfau