Building an ARM cross compiler

Johannes Pfau spam at example.com
Tue Nov 16 11:37:41 PST 2010

Am 15.11.2010, 21:27 Uhr, schrieb Iain Buclaw <ibuclaw at ubuntu.com>:

> == Quote from Iain Buclaw (ibuclaw at ubuntu.com)'s article
>> There's a patch in Debian which addresses this. Last time I tried (a
>> nice fella
>> allowed me to work via ssh'ing onto a sheevaplug) it mostly works, but
>> you'll need
>> to use the gcstub sources, as the normal gc don't work (2.035~ish time
>> this was I
>> think, so things may have improved since).
>> Regards
>
> First one fixes your linker errors. I'm not sure whether or not the
> second is
> needed for GCC-4.4 (it was for GCC-4.3).

Thanks Ian,
I applied the first patch for now. As you said the problem is gone, but
now I hit another problem:
Compilation now fails with
make[3]: Leaving directory
`/var/abs/local/cross-arm-elf-gdc2-hg/src/gcc-build/arm-elf/thumb/libgcc'
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/var/abs/local/cross-arm-elf-gdc2-hg/src/gcc-build/arm-elf/libgcc'
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/var/abs/local/cross-arm-elf-gdc2-hg/src/gcc-build/arm-elf/libgcc'
/bin/sh: line 3: cd: arm-elf/libphobos: No such file or directory
make: *** [install-target-libphobos] Error 1
The arm-elf directory exists, but it only contains a libgcc and thumb
folder.
I think the phobos sources are not copied correctly when crosscompiling.

In case you're interested: You can get cheap ARM Hardware by buying the
"seagate dockstar freeagent go". It's possible to ssh into this
device(http://ahsoftware.de/dockstar/) and install debian on
it(http://jeff.doozan.com/debian/). You can get those for ~30$ in the US,
I got mine for 25€ in Germany, but Prices in Germany went up again. The
Dockstar uses sheevaplug like hardware: 1.2ghz ARM Processor, 128Mb ram,
256mb internal NAND.
--
Johannes Pfau