D Cross Compiler

Brendan Simon (eTRIX) brendan.simon at etrix.com.au
Sat Apr 16 18:21:18 PDT 2011

On 15/04/2011 5:00 AM, d.gnu-request at puremagic.com wrote:
> Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 23:30:24 +0000 (UTC)
> From: Iain Buclaw <ibuclaw at ubuntu.com>
>
> == Quote from Brendan Simon (eTRIX) (brendan.simon at etrix.com.au)'s article
>> (e.g. freertos)
>>> Especially if you intendto use any non-POD features of the language
>>> (C++ has the same problem too).
>> > So is it possible to use D in a limited capacity for a bare-metal, or
>> > low-level (rtos/kernel, driver) environment ??
> Yes an no for the same reasons C++ is suitable for such a task.
>
> It probably *could* be done (see the XOMB exo-kernel project), but requires you
> implement a bespoke runtime, not use the one that comes bundled with DMD/GDC.
Had a quick look at XOmB and XOmB Bare Metal.  It sounds very
interesting, but also very young.  I don't even think they have a
filesystem or moderately complex C application working yet.

I wonder how it performs compared to other C based OSes ??  Probably
hard to compare as it is not a traditional micro-kernel.

I believe that eCos is written in C++ (or a restricted subset), and I
presume that it performs quite well, so given that, I see no reason why
a D based OS/RTOS could not perform as well as eCos or other OSes.

-- Brendan.