GDC rpm for Fedora?

F i L witte2008 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 22:45:33 PST 2011

On Monday, 12 December 2011 at 20:36:04 UTC, Iain Buclaw wrote:
> On 12 December 2011 20:17, F i L <witte2008 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Any chance we might see a GDC Fedora .rpm at some point? I'm
>> relatively new
>> to Linux in general but I use Fedora because it has LDC D2 in
>> the software
>> center and comes with a clean Gnome Shell (my favorite DE) by
>> default. If I
>> had more experience I'd try to build one myself, only I just
>> got GDC to
>> compile a month ago and I still don't know how to install it
>> (like the LDC
>> is installed) so I think I'm a bit too green just yet. GCC
>> seems to yield
>> better overall runtime performance than LLVM so I'd like to
>> easily be able
>> to use GDC with Mono-D without having to Bash "export
>> PATH=$PATH:/opt/gdc/bin" or remember not to delete the gdc
>> folder out of my
>> Home directory.
>

> Fedora requires that GDC be on the current release that they are
> shipping in rawhide (which currently would be 4.7 pre-release)
> - as
> there is no (actively maintained) port for that, they probably
> won't
> ship.  The same issue is with gcc-pascal too, to which only
> supports
> 4.1.

Sorry, I'm still a bit confused. Are you saying you'd have to
wait until Fedora 17 to release GDC on that distro (due to
aggressive regulations)? Or simply that no one is actively
maintaining a repository for it right now?

Sorry for what's probably an obvious question. Like I said, I'm
new to Linux. On one hand I really like the way Linux distros
provide user friendly software centers. On the other, it's
annoying how apparently fragmented, disconnected, and out-of-date
they are from one another.