OpenMP support

scorn scorn at d.net
Thu Jan 6 09:53:46 PST 2011

Am 05.01.2011 21:24, schrieb Iain Buclaw:
> == Quote from Scorn (scorn at scorn.net)'s article
>> I too wonder how much work it would be to support OpenMP in gdc. From
>> http://www.drdobbs.com/high-performance-computing/226300277 it seems to be that
>> there is also quite a lot of magic on the compiler side (but which could
> already
>> be in the gcc parts). Maybe a concurrent garbage collector would also be needed
>> (Leandro Lucarella worked on this for his diploma thesis).
>> I hope someone can help to clear this up. If not OpenMP then at least a better
>> support for multicore programming in one way or another will be really
> important
>> for the future of D.
>
> Would take just a little bit of work, yes. ;)
>
> Most of the heavy duty work for GCC OMP support is done by their own C
> parser/internal codegen functions. So to start, will need to rewrite half of what
> is there for the DMDFE AST.

That really sounds tempting. Maybe we should bring this up on the main D
mailing list (whatever this is (d.learn ?)) for discussion. While this
might at first be a gdc only solution, having a general, developer
approved official D syntax for all three compilers (dmd, gdc, ldc) would
be great.

Too sad that i know nothing about the gdc / gcc internals at all or
compiler programming in general. Otherwise i would really be tempted to
start right now with implementing this ...