Building GDC on Ubuntu

Don dailey.don at gmail.com
Sun May 22 15:25:20 PDT 2011

I really want to use D but I'm constantly frustrated by issues just
like this.

I get the same error message on 64 bit Ubunutu 10.10 as well.

I do plan to stick with it and when D is within 5% of the speed of gcc
for my type of application (computer chess) I'm switching.

Sorry I cannot be of more help to you.   I was hoping to at least find
a binary distribution that is up to date but I have not been able to
do so.    I wonder if this will compile on a 32 bit box?  I may try it
with virtual-box when I get time and that would my only suggestion.

GDC is in the repository for Ubuntu but it's an ancient version and I
don't know if it produces 64 bit executables.    It's my understanding
that GDC runs as a 32 bit application but that later version do
produce 64 bit binaries which is important to me since I rely on 64
bit data structures for high performance.