GDC Updated to 2.055/1.070

Adam Burton adz21c at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 14:43:07 PDT 2011

dsimcha wrote:

> == Quote from maarten van damme (maartenvd1994 at gmail.com)'s article
>> I hope gdc (for D2) gets included in gcc so I can simply download it from
>> synaptic :D
>
> I don't think this will ever be a good solution.  The glacial and
> centralized
> nature of Linux packaging conflicts with the fast-moving nature of D.  For
> example, when I write D code I don't make even the slightest effort to
> support any
> compiler/phobos/druntime version other than the latest.  Most of my code
> would probably not even compile with a release from 6 months ago.
Once you have a package it's easy enough to `apt-get source`/download srpm,
replace the code and rebuild producing new packages. rpm/apt-get makes sure
you got all the dependencies and someone else has already tuned all the
paths and any quirks for the distro. Unless there is a significant change to
the build it would simplify things for anyone who struggles to build gdc
(that doesn't require gdc in gcc though, just that there is a package).