C compiler cannot create executables?

Iain Buclaw ibuclaw at ubuntu.com
Mon Sep 26 22:44:31 PDT 2011

== Quote from "Jérôme M. Berger" (jeberger at free.fr)'s article
> This is an OpenPGP/MIME signed message (RFC 2440 and 3156)
> --------------enigEFBBD89E592FB5B6388005AB
> Andrew Wiley wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 6:11 PM, dsimcha <dsimcha at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >> I keep getting the following error on two newly set up Debian testing =
> boxes,
> >> as well as a Ubuntu Oneric box, when building GDC tip using GCC 4.6.1:=
> >>
> =2E.. snip ...
> > Have you searched for the error in config.log? That basically means
> > that the default set of options that configure is using is causing GCC
> > to get an error.
> 	My bet is that the error is along the lines of "Cannot find cc1".
> If that is the case, it means you have the current directory (".")
> in your path. You need to remove it.
> 		Jerome

For Debian/Ubuntu, you also need to consider that they've been experimenting with
multiarch system for 32 and 64bit, which requires special patches to GCC so that
it can find the correct locations of headers, libraries, etc.

If you are using a vanilla GCC tarball to build, it may help if you put the
following in your .bashrc

LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu
CPATH=/usr/include/i386-linux-gnu
export LIBRARY_PATH CPATH