Compiling with gdc vs. gdmd

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Tue Apr 3 20:09:30 PDT 2012

On 03/04/12 04:04, Alex Rønne Petersen wrote:
> On 03-04-2012 01:19, Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:
>> On 03/04/12 00:48, Alex Rønne Petersen wrote:
>>> The Waf meta build system has good support for both GDC and LDC.
>>
>> I'm reluctant to use Waf due to the issues described here ... :-(
>> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2010/02/msg00714.html
>>

> Which ones in particular? Debian lacking a system-level Waf doesn't seem like a
> huge issue to me.

You could also see: http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2012/02/msg00207.html

Put simply, for me it's not about whether Debian has a package or not; I don't
want to use a build system that is rejected by one of the largest and most
important FOSS distros out there.  I'm also worried by the deliberate efforts to
stymie Debian's packaging work -- it's important to me that my dependencies play
nice with the rest of the FOSS ecosystem.

I should add that I'm not just looking for a build script -- I'm looking for
something that does the equivalent of the full Autotools setup, i.e. checking
for dependencies, customizing the build script to the individual user
environment etc.