Compiling with gdc vs. gdmd

Alex Rønne Petersen xtzgzorex at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 22:26:42 PDT 2012

On 04-04-2012 05:09, Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:
> On 03/04/12 04:04, Alex Rønne Petersen wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm reluctant to use Waf due to the issues described here ... :-(
>>> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2010/02/msg00714.html
>>>

>> Which ones in particular? Debian lacking a system-level Waf doesn't
>> seem like a
>> huge issue to me.
>
> You could also see:
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2012/02/msg00207.html
>
> Put simply, for me it's not about whether Debian has a package or not; I
> don't want to use a build system that is rejected by one of the largest
> and most important FOSS distros out there. I'm also worried by the
> deliberate efforts to stymie Debian's packaging work -- it's important
> to me that my dependencies play nice with the rest of the FOSS ecosystem.

What went wrong here is that the Debian guys tried to package something
as a system-level package when it isn't supposed to be. I don't really
see anything wrong in the Waf dev trying to prevent this; not doing so
is letting Debian shoot itself in the foot, only to come back to Waf
later and complain, when they were already warned.

So, I just think you should reevaluate what you're basing your decision
on here. :)

> I should add that I'm not just looking for a build script -- I'm looking
> for something that does the equivalent of the full Autotools setup, i.e.
> checking for dependencies, customizing the build script to the
> individual user environment etc.

(Not sure if you know, but Waf can do all of those.)

--
- Alex