Compiling with gdc vs. gdmd

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Thu Apr 5 08:52:51 PDT 2012

On 04/04/12 15:43, Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:
> To see why it matters, imagine a corporate entity releasing a large, complex
> piece of software where the code was under a free licence but the build system
> was proprietary and internal to the company. It'd be a major block to
> practically enjoying the licence freedoms.

I should probably be more cautious there and say build _script_ rather than
build _system_; I'm not sure the GPL legally forbids you releasing a program
that builds using (say) a proprietary equivalent of the Autotools, so long as
the build script itself is present.

But a non-free build system would almost certainly be a block to inclusion in
many of the major Linux distributions.